New research from Rated People reveals how UK tradespeople are adapting their businesses this year to be more environmentally friendly as homeowner demands for ‘eco home improvements’ like roof insulation, electric car charging points, and heat pumps goes through the roof.
Uniquely placed with its own marketplace data, Rated People analysed more than 800,000 home improvement jobs posted by UK homeowners on its platform and spoke to over 600 tradespeople and 2,000 homeowners to conduct the study. It shows that almost two in three tradespeople (63%) will be making eco changes to their businesses and work in 2022, and 70% are planning to extend their skillset this year to take on more eco jobs.
Four in five (81%) tradespeople think eco home improvements will be even more popular this year for homeowners and 43% of UK homeowners also said they would now be more likely to choose a tradesperson if they were environmentally friendly. So, there’s a big opportunity for tradespeople if they increase their green credentials this year.
The top eight eco changes tradespeople are making in 2022:
- Improve recycling – 41% (of tradespeople will do this in 2022)
- Reduce waste – 34%
- Use environmentally friendly materials/ products – 27%
- Take jobs locally/ don’t travel too far for jobs – 27%
- Give more quotes remotely to cut down on driving – 25%
- Get an electric vehicle – 20%
- Use British parts where possible/ support other local businesses – 18%
- Use second hand parts where possible – 14%
The Greenest Trades
When looking at which trades are planning to make eco changes this year, more than four in five (85%) bathroom fitters are intending to be more environmentally friendly in 2022 – the most of any trade. And at least 55% of all the other trades in the top 10 are also looking to upgrade their practices to be more environmentally friendly this year.
The top 10 trades making eco changes the most in 2022:
- Bathroom fitters – 85% (are going greener this year)
- Roofers – 75%
- Gardeners/ landscape gardeners – 68%
- Builders – 68%
- Electricians – 65%
- Carpenters/ joiners – 64%
- Painters and decorators – 62%
- Plumbers – 60%
- Plasterers/renderers – 59%
- Tilers – 55%
Almost two in three tradespeople (63%) say their main motivation for making eco changes this year is because they care about the planet. An awareness of changing consumer preferences is also having an impact, with one in three (36%) of those who are making eco changes in 2022, saying they’re making changes because homeowners want businesses to be more environmentally friendly. Just 13% say they are doing it because their competitors are, so they feel they also need to.
Eco Upgrade Opportunities for Tradespeople in 2022
When looking at the top 10 most popular eco adaptions for this year, the research shows UK homeowners are keen to invest in eco home technology. One in five are planning to have a smart meter installed, and given energy prices are increasing by around £700 a year on average for households, it’s easy to understand the motivation.
One in five (19%) will also be installing smart lighting, 18% are upgrading old appliances for newer more energy efficient models, and one in six (18%) want to have solar panels installed.
The top 10 eco improvements homeowners are planning to make in 2022:
- Installing a smart meter – 20%
- Draught proofing – 20%
- Installing smart lighting – 19%
- Extra insulation – 19%
- Upgrading old appliances – 18%
- Installing solar panels – 18%
- Installing a low flow toilet – 14%
- Installing double glazing – 13%
- Creating a compost pile – 13%
- Installing a smart thermostat – 13%